Chromatic harmonica

Dear Steve, thanks for your helpful tutorial videos on YouTube and I’ve also watched some other players’ advice: what I’m confused about is what the tip of my tongue should be doing when trying the pucker embouchure on my chromatic. Should it be sliding along under the holes helping to channel the breath?

Another player warned against a “U block” embouchure with a tongue curled so that there is a little channel down the middle (he said that caused too much saliva). I don’t think my tongue curls like that, but it seems necessary to put it under the hole to get a clear single note. I haven’t heard much info on what to do with the tongue tip so hoping you can clarify.

I did manage a scale using the tongue block technique - actually that tech seems to help with the really high notes — but surely that also puts a lot of saliva in the harmonica?

I’m glad to hear they’ve been helpful :grinning:

When playing with a pucker embouchure it’s good to keep the tip of your tongue behind your lower front teeth in the middle of the mouth, not touching the teeth. It doesn’t really play a role in channeling the breath except when tongue blocking.

As you rightly say, tongue block embouchure (including U-block) will generally lead to more saliva getting in the harmonica at first. The saliva glands are regulated by the brain stem as a precursor to digestion. The brain stem is a slow learner, but if you keep playing it will eventually realize that harmonicas are not edible, and reduce saliva production. This may take a couple of years, so in the meantime it’s a big help to avoid inclining your head downwards - maintain an upright posture and keep your eyes focussed straight ahead, rather than leaning forward.

That said, I strongly recommend you learn to tongue block. The sound is richer and more powerful once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for that advice Steve. I have so many questions…actually I think I do tend to use U block. Gives a clear sound, however I can hear a proper tongue block sounds richer and was just getting some practice at that. (As a violinist I am always listening).

So with the saliva problem…my slider does get stuck if I don’t action it a few times while the harmonica is drying. I then have to yank it out a millimetre or so and it’s fine again. I just received a Hohner toolkit and have some isopropyl alcohol so should I have a go at following the method on YouTube and clean the slider at least? (I have a Meisterklasse). If so, how often if I practice every day?

I got an expensive harmonica from the start— I didn’t realise they have a limited lifespan! Also liked the range of the 14 hole.
Another question— the lowest notes (G to B) rattle unless breathing very gently. Is that normal or could I have damaged it already? :confused:

It’s definitely a good idea to follow the instructions in the Hohner video and clean the slide from time to time. Everybody is different, and how frequently you need to do this depends on individual factors. Try once a week if you have the time and see how you go.

If you don’t stress the reeds, they should last a long time. I regard harmonica reeds like guitar strings, they will wear out eventually, depending on how hard and how often you play. But if you catch them as soon as this starts to happen, you can retune them (see the appropriate Hohner video). You can get good mobile phone tuner apps very cheaply or even as freeware.

Do the lower reeds rattle, or is it the sound of the windsavers rattling? This happens quite easily and can usually be fixed by carefully separating the 2 layers of the windsaver, they can get stuck together by saliva which causes the valve to bend up away from the plate and make funny noises. Don’t force them, just relax and play gently.

Thanks again Steve.

I dismantled the harmonica (but not the reed plates!). Wish I’d watched the 2nd video on how to put it back together again beforehand, but we figured it out. Cleaned the slide etc with isopropyl alcohol - didn’t look to make any difference.
Was for a long time puzzled by your description of 2 layers of wind savers as the ones fully covering the slots on my Meisterklasse are perfectly clear, not white as in the video-- so I couldn’t even see them for what they were. Just reporting this in case it helps someone else… anyway the lower notes (on my 14 hole) still have that rattle. Will have a closer look next time.

Another thing that puzzled me is the amount of scratching on the reeds and even the reed plates. So is that normal - i.e. are reeds scratched quite a bit to tune them on a brand new harmonica? Also my slide shows signs of wear though little used by me.
Bought my harmonica through on online retailer here in Australia, advertised as brand new so hoping that is the case…their website does say they set them up before sale so would that need to include tuning? (Their goods are covered by a warranty.)

I’m new to all this :neutral_face: but my tongue-blocking is coming along. :slightly_smiling_face: I like the more haunting sound it produces.

Reeds are scraped in order to tune them, so scratch marks on the reeds are normal. If the online company you purchased from claims to offer a set-up, this may well include tuning corrections. I suggest you ask them about the issues you mention, as they are your first port of call in case of any queries or complaints.

Regarding the rattling etc.: It sounds to me like you should concentrate on learning to breathe softly from the diaphragm, with an open throat, and enclose the front of the harmonica with the moist inside of the lips. Don’t force air through the instrument.

Wishing you good luck and fun with your endeavours.

1 Like