Chromatic cx12 new to me

can’t find info on the CX12. Received as Christmas gift, enjoy it but would like to learn more on technique

What kind of info are you looking for? In terms of tonal layout and playing techniques, the CX-12 is no different from any other 12 hole chromatic. The unique design means that it’s louder and has a slightly different sound than traditional chromatics, and the larger mouthpiece may be unfamiliar to players of such models, but these differences don’t affect how you play it. There are a number of Youtube videos to help you learn chromatic, from beginners to advanced, also depending on what styles of music you want to play. I googled “Learn to play chromatic harmonica” and found quite a few. So good luck, I hope you enjoy playing your CX-12!

Thanks for the reply. I can’t seem to to get the CX12 apart. It appears quite simple but is alluding me. After removing the Slide I’m lost. I don’t want to put excess pressure to release the spring; is there a step I’m missing? Richard;

Received helpful reply from KHS America. All is good.

1 Like

I’m having difficulty with holes 9-12. Is there a technique I need to know or is it simply practice, practice, practice?

1 Like

Those notes are extremely high pitched and it can be more difficult to make them sound properly, as the reeds are stiffer than lower pitched ones. Try reducing the size of the space inside your mouth and remember to breathe from the diaphragm. Force is not necessary. And of course you’re right, practice, practice, practice :wink:

Is there FREE sheet music for Taps available somewhere on the internet?

Harp Tabs: https://www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=19

Sheet Music: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/90072061281617488/

Good luck

My CX12 has broken the Hole 2 Windasver. Any ideas on getting it repaired? Anything to AVOID?

The Hohner CSHOP sells sets of windsavers (http://www.hohner-cshop.de/en/Harmonica/Chromatic-Models/CX-12/CX-12-black/). But as you appear to be in N. America, it may make more sense for you to contact KHS again and ask them, as this may enable you to avoid buying a whole set. When you have your replacement, carefully pull off the old windsaver and clean the traces of adhesive from the reed plate (you can use propanol or a similar solvent). Select a replacement of the right length, place a very small drop of cyanoacrylate adhesive in the indentation and position the new windsaver over the slot so that the tip just covers the end. Allow to dry thoroughly before playing.

Steve, Is the Windsaver breaking a common occurrence? Is the replacement straightforward? I’m having mine replaced professionally for minimal cost but if it’s a common event AND simple to repair I’d rather do it myself. Any comment you or anyone else has is welcome. Richard

Hi Richard,
windsavers will eventually wear out. How long they last depends mainly on how hard and how “wet” you play. They will also wear out quicker on notes which you use more frequently, like on holes 4 & 5 for example. So in my opinion it’s well worth while to learn to replace them yourself, it’s not difficult (see above) and means no waiting for a repair. Go for it :smiley:

Steve, Are there videos (books?) on repairing Windsavers and general Harmonica repairing? Thanks, Richard

There is a whole series of detailed videos on harmonica repair on the Hohner website. Here’s the link to the one about windsavers: HOHNER Service Workshops:C06 - Windsavers - YouTube

There are a total of 9 videos covering all aspects of maintenance, I’m sure you’ll find them very helpful!

Steve, Can you advise me on finding an instructor for lessons on the Hohner CX12? I’m between Beginner and Intermediate and would like to work toward a solid Intermediate level of play. A higher level is my ultimate goal. Thanks, Richard

1 Like

Hi Richard,
I don’t personally know any teachers for chromatic, but if you enquire on Harp-L you’ll definitely find somebody who gives online lessons. It’s an old school email chat group based at www.harp-l.org and if you sign up, you can ask the group.

You can contact Michael Rubin for lessons over Skype. I’ve been taking lessons with him for over a year learning the chromatic and diatonic simultaneously, and I highly recommend him! I’ve learned music theory from him as well! The lessons can be recorded, so you can download it and review at your leisure. I’ve posted the information below. Hope it helps!

Email: michaelrubinharmonica@gmail.com
Phone: 512-619-0761
Click below:
http://www.michaelrubinharmonica.com/

1 Like

Hi Richard @rcrawf3924,

Another person who gives chromatic lessons and has numerous youtube videos as well is Filip Jers. His online teaching is done at his patreon site (www.patreon.com/filijersharmonica).

Richard, both of the recommendations are excellent, I know both and they’re very good.