Harp Amps , what's the difference

Valve,tube, solid state?

1 Like

Tube is another term for valve. There are big differences in how tube amps sound. Most of those who aspire to play blues on the harmonica are looking for an amp which will provide a greater or lesser degree of tube distortion, because they usually sound warmer and richer than solid state amps. There are many digital simulations of amps of all kinds readily available today, but though they may allow you to create cool sounds which can work well for harp, they often lack the dynamic response of a good tube amp.

There are good solid state amps for certain purposes (the old Roland Jazz Chorus or Roland Cube are examples), but they’re not generally objects of desire for harmonica players.

In the end the most important thing is, do you like the sound of a particular rig? If it makes you happy then it’s good :grinning: But I wouldn’t recommend spending any amount of money on an amp unless you’ll be playing it live with a band. Amps are tools and there’s not much point in buying tools you’re not going to use. And a good player will sound good through anything :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks again for your time and help. Learning so much . I am shopping this weekend for a new mic. How do I get a sm57 with volume control. Like Ines?

Hi Michael, I got mine from Greg Heumann at blowsmeawayproductions. However, we now have a new harmonica microphone, the Harp Blaster HB52, produced in cooperation with sE Electronics. List price in Germany is €219. This is the best harmonica mic I’ve ever played in terms of sound, handling and playing comfort and I will be using it exclusively in future:

2 Likes

I’m catching up on some old posts but I thought I would comment on Michael-5’s question about wireless mics. I bought a 2 mic Gemini system that I’ve used in our Gateway Harmonica Club gigs plugged into our mixer board, with a Bose tower speaker plus bass. I’m sure the wireless is no comparison to the HB52 but it is light and easy to handle. I’ve also played it through some Crate speakers during practice meetings. I don’t claim to be a professional and will never even try playing professionally (I just started playing gigs in 2013) but I do play a solo on my Rocket Low C , backed by our Bass and Chord players, with modest success. We play (pre-virus) mostly retirement facilities but the wireless allows me to walk among the audience while playing.

It’s fun to experiment!

1 Like

Hi Jay,
your wireless rig is great for amplifying the acoustic sound of the harmonica without changing it, and sounds ideal for the uses you describe. The HB52 is designed to run through a tube amp, it’s really more like the pickup in an electric guitar, designed to enable the harmonica to make a different sound when enclosed by the hands, as well as being able to compete with the volume level of amplified guitars and modern drums. So it’s a different animal. Hope we can all get back to playing live again in the not too distant future!

1 Like

Thanks Jay! Sounds like a great gear set up. Bose /hohner . The best!

I love tubes.im using my fender bass man.

1 Like

I hope you have someone to help you carry it. I love mine, but rarely use it because it’s too loud for most of the situations I play in, and too heavy for me to enjoy having to lug it around :wink: