Hohner B2A spare parts

Hi,
I own a Hohner B2A headless bass. Unfortunately, the battery compartment shows some corrosion, also some parts of the plastic housing, which is extremely brittle, broke off. I’ve senn that there is a small number of spare parts for the B2A at the CSHOP, but not the battery compartment I’d need. Is there any other source for parts known? Is there a replacement for the active pre-amp (in the shape of a 9V battery) that sits in the comartment alongside the battery?
One more thing: The serial number of this bass is 8701044.Can I get some more information on the bass, i. e. when and where it was made?

Thanks for any support

Andy

Hi Andy,
The B2A was made between 1985 and 1993 in Korea. Your serial number #8701044 indicates that it was made in 1987.
Great to hear that you already checked the C-Shop. All the parts that we can provide are listed there. So, unfortunately, if you couldn’t find the parts you needed, we do not have them any more. Maybe a specialized guitar shop or a second hand guitar shop can help?
Thanks for your understanding.
Kristin

Hi Kristin,
thanks a lot for the information anyway. Very helpful service, and super fast, too. Is it right that the B2A generally is not an active bass, i. e. without electronic sound shaping, but with a pre-amp to amplify the signal created by the passive electronics?

Thanks again

Andy

depending on your skills at making or wiring? look for an effects pedal powered by mains adaptor 9v. this can cause mains buzz but i don’t know
wiring in your bass or will still work without battery powering shaping circuit? If you can get at leads that connect to battery (is it pp3 9v) a connector can be bought cheaply and replaced. ABS car bumper epoxy resin glue to repair compartment?
i would be interested on the wiring if you find out.

Hi grip353,
there is not much wiring in the battery/electronics compartment. Most wiring is in the compartment on the other side, which contains all the pots, switch, connectors and so on. Using glue to repair the compartment doesn’t make any sense, because the parts that broke off just fall apart as soon as you touch them. I made a plan for a different solution now. Will take some time to make it happen, but I’ll try. Will keep you posted if it works. If not: the bass can be used without the pre-amp as a standard passive instrument with two volume and one tone pot.
Andy

Here is my solution for the battery compartment problem mentioned earlier. Shown in 10 images.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0001: Remains oft he original plastic battery compartment. Parts have broken off, the lid is lost. A replacement part could not be found.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0002: The deep cutout on the backisde oft he B2A body ist he original one, made to hold the plastic battery compartment. See the pre-amp circuit inside a PP3 battery shape housing.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0003: The larger, about 1 mm deep cutout has been made by a friend of min using a milling cutter. It is the size of the new compartment cover.4 new holes (4 mm diameter) have been drilled. The upper left one already holds a threaded insert made of brass. The screws holding the new cover in place are M 2,5 x 10 mm.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0004: Some oft he new parts: battery contact cable, brass threaded inserts, screws M 2,5 x 10 mm, self adhesive hook-and-loop stripes.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0005: loop stripe is glued to the upper side wall, hook stripe is glued to one side of the the pre-amp circuit box.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0006: Battery contact cable has been soldered to the corresponding wires of the circuit and isolated by tape.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0007: Pieces of foam glued to the bottom an the lower side wall of the battery compartment as well as to one side of the circuit box, using double-sided adhesive tape. All four threaded inserts are in their places now.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0008: Battery in it’s place, the new stainless steel cover shown above.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0009: Piece of foam glued to the cover using double-sided adhesive tape, to make sure the battery will not move inside the compartment.

Hohner-B2A-Battery-Comptmt-0010: And that’s it. Great little instrument brought back to life. I love playing it.

The battery contact cable was the part i mentioned if running on nine volts i understand you mean the size of circuit amp. if all is working fine the battery will last a lot longer than two giving 3 volts take it they are ordinary battery’s and paint the cover or sticky back plastic will match better ask seller for sample for free ebay. if double ball strings get adapter as well.
i fitted FM transmitter to radio then record into PC with audacity software
great job:guitar:

Great Job ABSBass! Solid work.

now i understand a 9V battery is used here is wiring diagram
if helps anyone

Hi, I have a Hohner B Bass 6 and I would like to buy electronics for it, since it broke down. Where could I buy it?

Anyone???
Preamp??
Where I can find…