Hohner HG 310 Limited Edition Guitar

Just browsing the internet while in virus shut down mode. Researching an old guitar I had owned I noticed an error / incomplete listing in the Hohner Historical Guitar list.

I owned a HG 310 LE I bought in 1975. I believe it was a 1974 model. I think I paid C$180 for the guitar and C$50 for the case.

This was hand made in Japan and extremely well made. It had spruce top, rosewood sides and back, ebony neck, and black pick guard. There was HOHNER decal on the headstock, reminiscent of a Martin D-35. There was a herringbone binding and back strip with small, simple fleur-de-lis fingerboard dots.

I had the neck reset and three frets replaced in 1980 or 81. There was no other work done up until I sold it in 2017. The action and neck were good but getting close to another reset. There was no bellying, cracks, crazing etc. The tuning posts were still tight. The fingerboard did have a lot of wear though. The major reason I sold it is because of my arthritis took a lot of joy out of playing. I’ve played a few Martin D-28s that didn’t hold up as well. BUT, I did take good care of her.

This guitar DID NOT have a serial number. My understanding was those HG 310 made on or before 1975 (although it may have been later) did not have serial numbers. I understand, though not positive, these were done on special assignment for Hohner from 1973-75. They were reissued in 1978-85 with serial numbers and slightly different build. Much of that is what I’ve gleaned from others as documentation on these is weak and I accept I may be remembering wrong or was misinformed.

The Historical List shows:

1. They were made from 1978-85. However they were made from at least 1975 and I believe even earlier. I believe the 1978-85 run were serial numbered models.

2. The list says they were semi hollow-body. This was a standard dreadnought acoustic, similar to a D-28 with X-bracing. The 1978-85 models I’ve seen were also dreadnoughts.

I have several photos from when I sold the guitar if anyone is interested.

I too have an HG 310 LE and I can confirm some of what you are saying. They were definitely made priority 1978 as I bought mine in the fall of 1976. On the label inside it is stamped 7-76 so my assumption was it was made in July 1976. I was 18 at the time I bought it and I paid $200 US for it and a non-matching HSC. The dealer I bought it from said that he had recently started carrying the line and thought this LE was some sort if Bicentennial promotion. I like to tell people it was made on the 4th of July.

Mine, like yours, has herringbone bracing and does not contain a serial number. Mine has a rosewood fingerboard and has the same fleur-de-lis inlays. The Hohner name is also inlayed with the same material in the headstock, with the name going down the middle of the headstock similar to what Martin does with the D-45.

I still have it and it’s in reasonably good shape as I haven’t been much of a player over the last 45 years. It still has that nice balanced tone that drew me to it when I was 18. The action get higher as you go up the neck but I believe this just needs either a neck adjustment or some bridge/neck work. I’m sure the guitar is very dry and could use some tender love and care from a skilled technician or luthier. My guy says to bring it by and he will work his magic. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do. I saw recently that someone sold a 1976 one, just like mine for $550 on Reverb. It’s nice to see that he has retained it’s value.

I also have one of these with a hard case and have played it on and off since 1978. Mine is marked “03 78” and has the stamp of the craftsman inside. There is no serial number that I can see. The headstock does not have a decal, but an abalone inlay spelling out HONER vertically instead. The tone is fantastic and the action is great … almost as good as some of my electrics. I remember purchasing this guitar … sitting all afternoon on a Saturday in a small music shop on Woodhaven Blvd in Queens … playing every guitar that was hanging there (about 60 guitars as I recall). I still have the receipt somewhere in my attic … it says “rosewood guitar” … I may have paid $300 for it but I really don’t recall. This guitar has gone with me everywhere throughout the years and brings continuity to my life. I’m so pleased to find the instrument is still valued.

Samsdad
Can you confirm your guitar was an HG 310 LE. Hohner had several other models available in this timeframe, including some other high end Martin copies.

Also, where was the date stamped inside your guitar?

I recently purchased a HG-805 Limited Edition from the original owner, He purchased the guitar in Oct 1981. Beautiful instrument. Solid maple book matched flame maple back, and sides, solid top ( species spruce ?) bound rosewood fingerboard, body and f-holes, ebony bridge. Body is 14 3/4" x 2 1/2" with a 24 3/4" S.L.

The original owner told me that when he purchased the guitar from Rockin Robin Guitars in Houston ( they are still in buisness!) that this was a non production guitar and that there were only 14 of these models built.

It has 2 serial numbers printed on the inside of the guitar. 92877 and 607322. What they mean is anyone’s guess.

I’ve read that the HG-805 standard edition was made at the Terada Factory in Japan but I cannot confirm this.

I know that the 805 was built from '77 - '85. I know that this Limited Edition exists because I’m looking at one but there is " nothing" that I can find that documents the existence of this guitar much less the specs.

I have an HG310 LE that I know was built sometime prior to Feb.1976 as I bought it from a friend that bought it then with the hard case. The top is solid spruce and the sides are laminated rosewood as pulling the lower strap peg verified. I can’t say if the 2 piece back if solid or ply since the sales brocures doesn’t identify yea or nea? The fretboard is rosewood and the markers are “snow flake” shaped and with Gotoh tuners and a mahogany neck with an ebony bridge plate, but I don’t think there is any ebony any place else. Mine also has no serial# and “herringbone” binding that looks like crossed signal flags on a sailboat, very colorful. I’m very sure these Limited Edition HG models in this time (first editions by Hohner) into the high end guitar market were built by a Japanese luthier named K. Yairi after he completed his contacts with CBS on their Masterworks models. This luthier also built the Alvarez Masterworks after ending his contracts with Hohner when they were sued and lost to Martin for patent infringements for the HG310, HG320, Hg370 all LE and I’m not sure if any other models were challenged. This legal loss it why Hohner doesn’t make a great effort to describe these models! I own both the HG310 LE and an HG320 LE with the hard case. The friend I bought the HG310 LE from bought an HG370 LE in Nov.1976 before selling his 310 to me. These guitars are wonderful in every way, and are very much CANONS! I know the ARBOR Series are select solid woods but built later (80s) by another top luthier.