Hohner Panther Diatonic Accordion

Hello!
I recently came into possession of the Hohner Panther Diatonic Accordion.
I love it, but I’m having a hard time finding any instruction books or tutorial videos on how to play it.
There is an accordion association in my city, but they said no one plays diatonic accordions and cannot give me lessons. :disappointed:

Does anyone have a diatonic accordion themselves? What resources have you found helpful for learning? I only speak English, so that’s one barrier I’ve encountered. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you.

1 Like

try these videos

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrWneqOX1Rc2mQAoFIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw–?p=Hohner+Panther+Diatonic+Accordion&fr=yhs-domaindev-st_emea&hspart=domaindev&hsimp=yhs-st_emea

2 Likes

I love diatonic accordion. Just have a go at it with some simple songs you know and you will find you can work it out by ear on your own.

There are some good online lessons at Liberty Bellows (USA), teaching basic to advanced.

And the Melodeon.net forum also has good advice with tuning layouts for the different instrument keys, among other topics. But it is button diatonic focused.

Hohner republished a book called “The Art of Playing Hohner Diatonic Accordions” by C. Irving Valentine. KJ Music in Australia have copies available for sale. Perhaps your local distributor can get it for you, depending where in the world you are.
Enjoy Music! Tony

1 Like

@TonyPeri - Thank you for this! That helps a lot.
I found the book on Amazon, but it is around $80 for it to be bought and shipped to me.
I’ll keep looking for a cheaper version, but in the meantime, these websites look great.

This series by Uncle Billy looks easy enough to follow: http://www.accordions4u.com/

Also, check out Homespun for video lessons.
Good luck & happy playing!

Hello!

I just bought the same accordion.

I live in México and I looked for information about accordions. I like “música norteña” and I found that the Panther is the most suitable for that kind of music.

As you say the language is a bit of a barrier but well, I met “Acordeonísticos” on YT. César is the accordionist on the videos. Also, I met Roma, he is another mexican accordionist on YT. Roma has a series of lessons on udemy.com, I bought them (like 10 dollars) and those are very nice for beginners as I am.

Oh, by the way, César from Acordeonísticos also has the option to buy “canciones norteñas” (“nortenio songs” I think people call them). He explains how to play them.

Well, I am new around here but I am sure that you have progressed a lot.

Kind regards.