I need help to Choosing the Right Harmonica for Beginners

Hii Guys! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I am brand new to the harmonica world and hoping you all can help me pick the right one to get started. I have seen stuff about diatonic and chromatic harmonicas but I am not sure which is best for beginners like me.

Here is a bit about me:

• Never played any instruments before.
  • Love listening to blues, folk, and pop music.
  • Budget is around $50 to $100.

I also check this: https://my.hohner.de/t/am-i-on-the-right-track-to-switch-to-chromatic-harmonicaalteryx But I have not found anything to my related my query. and even though I like all kinds of music, I’m really interested in learning blues. Any tips on beginner-friendly harmonicas that are good for blues would be amazing! Also, any advice on what to consider when buying a harmonica would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance! :innocent:

Respected community member :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Hi Kamya,
if you want to learn blues harmonica you can’t go wrong with a Hohner Special 20, this is well within your budget but it’s a top quality instrument used by tons of pro and semi-pro players. I suggest you buy one in the key of A. For blues you play using the draw (inhale) chord as your root chord or “home” chord, and on an A harp this chord is E, which is the most popular key for blues.
There are tons of online instruction options, David Barrett’s online school bluesharmonica.com is excellent.
Good luck and have fun!
Steve

1 Like

Perfect answer, nothing else to say. Go for the Special 20 in C.
I made an extra effort and got the Crossover, the best.
Enjoy your harp.

2 Likes

I know it’s been a while but I just bought a Blues Band harmonica in C for $10 and it’s great and fun to play. If I get better I might consider getting a better one.

1 Like

That’s the way to go. If you get on with the Blues Band then enjoy until you become more proficient. Then you might want to consider a Hohner Special 20, which is the German made model which the Blues Band is based on. It’s a better instrument and still reasonably priced,

cheers
Steve

1 Like