If I can't practice for a long time,will my skills degrade,

Hi, all !
Because I will attend the model United Nations, I will have no time to practise my harmonica…I wonder know: If I can’t practice for a long time,will my skills degrad?

That depends on your abilities, I think everyone may be different as for me, I can pick up the harmonica after many months or years and play like I never put it down worst case after playing it for a few minutes you might do ok

2 Likes

I suggest imagining playing the harmonica. Using your imagination can be very helpful in many activities.

I also suggest you bring at least one harp and sneak in three to five minute sessions.

1 Like

Thank you, Scott,
I think maybe I can pick up harmonica a few weeks later.
Best Liu

Hi Jaya!
That’s a good idea! Thank you.
Best Liu

sure we can be friends, i dont check in here very often but this might give me more of a reason to

1 Like

I think it’s like ride a bike. Once you learn it, never forget it.

1 Like

Like swimming or riding a bike, playing a musical instrument is a skill which you don’t forget. However, just like sport, if you don’t practice, your level of physical condition drops off. Fortunately, this returns when you start playing again, though it may take a bit of practicing before you regain the level of fluency you had previously. One of the positive things about stopping for a while is that you may gain fresh inspiration and fresh insights into how to approach the instrument when you go back to it. So don’t worry, just pick up your harmonica again when you have time and can return to the joys of making music.

2 Likes

Welcome, joanbur !
That’s very vivid :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: ! Thank you.
Liu

Thank you @SteveBaker !
That"s really a special viewpoint hahaha~

You’re right Jaya. All accomplished musicians develop the habit of mental practice, whatever instrument they play. This is a great help in times where there is no opportunity to stay in physical practice. Lee Sankey has written a fascinating e-book on the subject called Brainstruments. He interviewed many famous jazz musicians including Branford Marsalis, Howard Levy and Brian Blade. All of them described an individual mental model which they play in their mind’s eye, so they can practice mentally as well as physically. It’s well worth trying this if you don’t already do it.

2 Likes

It’s just an observation based on my own experience. You won’t find many active sportspeople who would disagree :wink:

1 Like

:face_with_monocle: :roll_eyes: :wink: :smiley:(My thought process)hahaha

1 Like

Please forgive me for veering off the topic.

One more related idea (imagination and human potential)… hypnotherapy can be helpful for musicians. I’ve found it remarkably effective in improving my control, tone and speed.

What’s the United Nations got against harmonicas?

1 Like

I didn’t know the UN was against the harmonica. Please share more information. Thanks.