Rare harmonica - M. Hohner "The Auto" car harmonica

Never seen one of these before. For sale in Australia now on ebay, a Hohner car harmonica! Dates to early 20th Century. (To at least the time when cars were manufactured…)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-M-Hohner-The-Auto-Harmonica/363090322382?hash=item5489dea3ce%3Ag%3ATXAAAOSwGpxfMBYF&LH_ItemCondition=4

2 Likes

Hi Tony,
this model is one of the more striking exhibits I recall seeing the the German Harmonica & Accordion Museum in Trossingen and it’s also featured on one of the museum’s vintage style postcards. From the late 19th century until the Nazis came to power and forced their stamp onto everything, Hohner was a great pioneer of modern marketing and was very cosmopolitan in the choice of imagery and motifs used in their advertising. This is probably one of the reasons for the company’s early international success. So that’s definitely a real collector’s item today.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve since seen a photo of it in the Hohner - Living Legend book which documents their history. That book certainly reveals how innovative Hohner were with their marketing and design. I’m reading it at the moment. Its a great book!!

2 Likes

Hi there I’m the owner of this rare harmonica, it is still for sale of course if the price is right… if anyone is interested we can organize something

2 Likes

Hi, was wondering if the harmonica is still available?

2 Likes

Is this still for sale. If so please contact me. By reply email chucklewis007@hotmail.com
Or phone (204)470-5628
Thanks Chuck

Yes it is. Contact me by email please jamie.berlic.1@gmail.com