Suggestion on purchasing 16 hole chromatic Harmonica

Chromatic Harmonica.

I am thinking of purchasing 16 hole chromatic Harmonica…
I already have Hohner 280 c, Suzuki Chromatix 16 hole & Hohner Meisterklasse 7565 in 14 hole & also a 12 hole Tombo including 10 hole Cascha and a 24 hole Suzuki Songstar Harmonica that has no wind saver… But it’s ideal for practice in any weather…
Anyone can suggest which one to purchase.
Hohner Super 64 X performance chromatic Harmonica or Suzuki S 64 Sirius? In my own opinion the New Hohner Performance has Deep resonance in the lower configuration and as for the Suzuki the tone deliver more treble & bass combined…
And as for Seydel Symphony I don’t prefer due to it’s steel reed unlike brass & bronze phosphor… Which satisfy my ear more than the steel. Then it has that exorbitant price tag as well …

There’s always a very common topic among the Harmonica enthusiast related to airtight Harmonica out of the box or it isn’t & thus require some tweaking & customisation…
According to my own experience the Suzuki Chromatix & Hohner Meisterklasse 7565 didn’t pose any manufacturing threat at all regarding that out of the box playability… But then I had to send back my Hohner 280 c to Trossingen the very first day that I’ve purchased it from a well known dealer in Hamburg, Germany… Because the second hole wasn’t playing at all…
Yes, I am also aware of the fact…
What you pay for is that what you get slogan as per the playability, quality & hierarchy of the price tag is concerned…

Please notify me about your own experience…
If someone of you’re playing the Hohner Super 64 X performance chromatic and also the Suzuki Sirius 64 C… let me understand that which one has that flawless & airtight ability right out of the box. As per your own humble experiences…
Because Hohner have their Service center in Germany… While Suzuki is situated in England perhaps… If I am right…
I am not a professional Harmonica player…
But I am tinkering around with Harmonica since 1977 to please my own ear…
And I don’t expect to require any hassle after I have purchased it & on the very first day the instrument has manufacturing defect such as buzzing of the wind saver, dead hole, air leakage & etc…
Then I become paranoid to locate the service center & parcel it back for repair job again…
A rational reply will be much appreciated.
Thank You for taking your time to read my query .

2 Likes

Hi @Bergedorfer,

I’m sorry, but this reply will probably not be of any great help. I too have played harmonicas almost as long as you: in my case since about 1984. After much frustration related almost exclusively to the mechanics and related problems of the various chromatic harps that I purchased, all for (in my opinion) way to much money, I gave up on them and switched to 10 hole Richter diatonic harps. I now prefer diatonic harps that use the PowerBender layouts that Brendan Power developed.

Recently, however, Seydel has come out with a new chromatic: the Nonslider Chromatic Deluxe Steel. Although this has stainless steel reeds, I am seriously considering purchasing one. Perhaps you might also suspend your current opinion concerning stainless steel reeds and examine this instrument. No slider, no valves, air tight, over-bending & over-blowing possibilities and reed response similar to blues harmonicas.

I hope that this post has not been a waste of your time. After reading your post, I thought that perhaps I could be of some (however small) assistance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply…
I appreciate it…

2 Likes