Very old Hohner help please

Hello everyone.
Thanks for having me on the forum.
A friend of mine has asked me for help with getting some more information on a Hohner miniature chromatique echo accordion that he inherited from his father (who inherited from his father?).

He has the accordion, but no more information about it, so all would be gratefully received.
I have a feeling that he isn’t going to learn to use it, and so if anyone also has an idea of its value, that could be very helpful too please.
Many thanks.
All the best,
Mark
PS I have two more pics, but am being told that as a newbie I can only put one here

Hi Mark,

I’ve passed on your enquiry to Hohner Accordion product management and will let you know what they say. In the case of very old instruments like this, however, there may be no surviving documentation. Try posting a couple more pics if you can, that may make it easier to identify,

cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks ever so much for your help.
I have two more photos here, but can go and see the man to take more specific pics if that helps Hohner.

All the best
Mark

I’ll pass the photos on, but it may take a few days to get a response.

Thanks so much Steve :pray:t4:

Hi Steve
It’s been a few days now :wink:
Just wondering whether you ever got a response from Hohner please?
Thanks again,
Mark

Hi Mark
I didn’t hear back from accordion product management. I’ll ask the Service Dept., they are usually very helpful but are on holiday now until next year.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Mark,
Hohner Accordion Service head Ralf Tritschler says he’s never seen one of these before and can’t find any record of it in old catalogues. His best guess is that it’s a model built for export between the two world wars, i.e. 1920s or 1930s. It appears from your photos that it hasn’t got a keyboard, is that right? This would normally mean that it’s a diatonic accordion, but the name suggests otherwise. So this seems to be quite an unusual instrument.
Sorry we don’t have more detailed info. You may want to look for vintage accordion forums online,
cheers
Steve

Hi Mark,
having looked at the more recent photo you posted, Ralf says the 2 rows of white and black buttons are arranged like a piano keyboard and show that this is a 2-voice chromatic accordion with a range in the treble from c’ - a’’. It has 6 basses and the corresponding 6 chords, probably (in ascending order) Bb, F, C, G, D and A. He says this model is undoubtedly a special edition and is presumably pretty rare.

Hi Stewart,
Thank you so much for your help. That’s absolutely fascinating!
I’ll pass the information on to my friend.
I know that he isn’t going to learn to use it, and is trying to raise funds. Do you have any idea what it might be worth please?
Wishing you a healthy, happy and creative 2024.
Very best wishes
Mark

Hi wondering if your friend has decided to sell this and what he might be asking for it?

1 Like

Hi Mark,
I have no idea what it might be worth, it would presumably be worth looking on Ebay. Maybe your friend should get in touch with respondent david46.

1 Like

Hi David
Thanks for your message. Sorry for the late reply.
My friend does want to sell his father’s father’s accordion. He is Portuguese, so I’m doing the investigations and liaising with potential buyers.
As far as we know, the instrument works well, but we are going to find someone local who can test it for us and verify this.
Do you have an idea of what it is worth?
All the best
Mark