Hohner Crossover the best in Class?

I use Meriane band, blues ,Sp 20s and know Crossovers.Some Reason the
20s play bullet proof live love the new Crossovers though. What’s your preference?

I was closely involved in the development of the Crossover, so I can’t claim to be impartial, but I love it. In terms of sound, playability and ease of servicing, it’s hard to beat. I’m also a big fan of the Marine Band Deluxe and use the two models interchangeably. The standard Marine Band 1896 is a great harmonica too and the comb is now sealed, so it isn’t as prone to swelling as it was in earlier times. I don’t play them as much as Deluxe & Crossover, because the screw together assembly of these models makes them much more service friendly and I prefer the slightly rounded channel openings. The Special 20 is as you say a workhorse and very comfortable to play.

1 Like

I agree with Steve all the way! JFilisko

3 Likes

Love them all I do really love the crossover.

2 Likes

Hi, The Crossovers are great! But if you like the Special 20 harmonica be sure to check out the Rockets as apart from a great name, they are really nice to hold and play with a superior comb to the Special 20 in my opinion.

3 Likes

Wow, I’m privileged! I call the Crossover the Les Paul of harps. Rock and roll needed a Hohner! Thanks Steve :de::us:

1 Like

Cool ,Gunna get an A,D this weekend. Thanks for the heads up! Can’t wait to blast them baby’s! Rocket man.

Great analogy Michael :+1:

1 Like

Hi Tony, the comb design of the Rocket series is indeed killer, all external surfaces are rounded and the larger channel openings help make them louder.

2 Likes

I love plastic combs, they are more durable and the overall feel is better!
That is why I prefer special 20`s.
Rocket looks sweet and I heard great things about that model, AMP is supposedly less air-tight then the classic model?!
will try it soon, as I get me some money!

1 Like

I use Crossover, Thunderbird, Marine Band Regular, XB40, Steves 365/28 SBS, Bluesharp, Pro Harp, Meisterklasse and also Rocket… Then I am also using Manji, Bluesmaster, Overdrive & Seydel Blues session in Brass Reeds… When I began tinkering around in 1977… My first very were 2 Golden Melodies in C & E and one Thorens in A… Now they have customised Turboharp with Magnetic paraphernalias, Dannecker & Brendan Power Products to ponder upon… But at my age I am satisfied with conventional Diatonics… Whatever I can afford is also the Criteria as single earning person… Back to the roots or maybe I am typical… But if that was so then I wouldn’t have tried Suzuki Overdrive & Meisterklasse in aluminium alloy either… Crossover and Thunderbird Bamboo Comb was something most fantastic innovation to have happened to Diatonic harmonicas besides Suzuki’s Rosewood Harps… Rocket is a step above Special 20 I assume…

2 Likes

Hi PapaMuerte, interesting name :wink:

In regards to airtightness there is absolutely no difference between the Rocket Amp and the standard model. In contrast to the classic model, the Rocket Amp covers are without side vents. This slightly cuts the treble frequencies in the acoustic sound, so it may appear a little quieter, but this feature allows tighter cupping when playing through a hand-held mic and ensures the full acoustic signal goes to the mic.

2 Likes

Ich habe ca 50 Jahre Echo C/G- A/F und Comet C/G gespielt begonnen aber mit ca 8 Jahren auf der kleinen Hohner Lieblinge Da ich irgendwann mit Freunden Mitspielen durfte , benötigte ich plötzlich mehrere Tonarten. Nach Billigschrott, hat mir meine Familie einen Satz Seydels Blues Session geschenkt und ich war Happy. Ein Freund von den Gitarristen, bemerkte, dass das mit der Bluesharp zum Liedle spielen nicht so richtig nach seinen Vorstellungen geklappt hat.Er brachte mir eine Flyer von Ralf Brendles Blueskur 1914, also bin ich hin, da wussz ich ja noch nichts von seiner Hohner NÄHE… Aber ich war hin und weg, von dem was er mit der Muha machte. ich sah was er spielte und habe mir einensatz Crossovers zugelegt bei D und F auch die Low den Mittlerweile lerne ich die Bluesharp im 6 ten Jahr bei ihm und habe festgestellt, es ist eine unendliche Geschichte. Mit 70 habe ich noch angefangen mal einen Chromonika Einsteiger zu machen, Habe eine Mellow Tone, eine Discoverie als Esatz und Eine de Luxe II mittlerweile Restauriert, die hat mir ein Onkel geschenkt , die hat in den 1970 igern mal 32DM gekostet. und ist jetzt wieder spielbar. Also Hohner auf der ganzen Schiene Spezial 20 und Rockets sind auch drunter so für Lagerfeuer und Motorradrucksack weil die so Problemlos sind, ist da was lege ich die ins Ultraschallbad klopfe Sie leicht aus und lasse sie auf einem Fusselfreien Tuch mit den Kanzellenöffnungen nah unten trocknenm ist dann ist meist alles wieder ok. danke an Ralf und daumen hoch für die ganze Hohner Palette.
Bernd

2 Likes

I really like the Rocket. I have a Low C and it is a blast to play. I don’t think I knew that Steve Baker was involved with the development of the Crossovers. Congratulations, Steve, you did a great job.

1 Like

Glad you like my favorite harp, thanks Jay! I’ve been closely involved in many new developments in the course of over 30 years as a consultant to Hohner. But the re-establishment of the Marine Band line as a flagship brand, starting with the MB Deluxe in 2005 and continuing with the Crossover (2009) and Thunderbird (2011), has been a significant part of my life’s work. I’m really proud that we’ve managed to bring this iconic instrument into the 21st century :smiley:

Not everybody likes the sandwich style construction of the Marine Band, which is why the Rocket features a player-friendly, ergonomic mouthpiece and comb design, combined with side vents in the covers. It’s a great harp and features the same reeds and reed plates as the MB Series.

1 Like

Your the les Paul of harps Steve! Did you choose the bamboo ?

I suggested it as a potential comb material. Hohner R&D then made trial combs from a variety of different laminates, which I tested to find which one sounded best.

1 Like

(I apologize Bern I couldn’t read your post so I translated it… hope you don’t mind!)

I started playing Echo C/G-A/F and Comet C/G for about 50 years but at about 8 years old on the little Hohner darlings Because I was allowed to play with friends at some point, I suddenly needed several keys. After cheap scrap, my family gave me a set of Seydel’s Blues Session and I was happy. A friend of the guitarists noticed that with the bluesharp to play the song did not really work out according to his ideas. He brought me a flyer from Ralf Brendle’s Blueskur 1914, so I’m there, I don’t know anything about his Hohner NÄHE… But I was back and forth from what he did with the Muha. I saw what he was playing and I got a set of crossovers at D and F also the low i’m learning the bluesharp in the 6th year with him and I found it’s an endless story. At 70 I started to make a Chromonika beginner, Have a Mellow Tone, a Discoverie as Esatz and A de Luxe II meanwhile restored, which has been given to me by an uncle, which cost 32DM in the 1970s. and is now playable again. So Hohner all over the rail Special 20 and Rockets are also underneath so for campfires and motorcycle backpacks because they are so trouble-free, there is what I put the in the ultrasonic bath you easily knock out and let them dry on a lint-free cloth with the cancell openings near below then everything is usually ok again. thanks to Ralf and thumbs up for the whole Hohner palette.
Bernd

I am very excited about learning and just purchased my first harp! It is a Crossover which as I read seemed to be an excellent choice, I think it is coming in C? I have a lot to learn. First any ideas or suggestions on how to properly clean and maintain it so it lasts longer that I will? I have already died once lost both legs and gone blind in one eye partially in the other, SO, lol this seems perfect for me to learn and enjoy my time with, I can’t wait for it and love the reviews but want to maintain it not destroy it, Any suggestions on my first harp? Cleaning kits? Tutorials for learning to play? I use Youtube for learning most things, Thanks in advance! Thanks for developing my first harp as well,

1 Like

The Crossover is an excellent choice :smiley:
You don’t really need to worry about maintenance, just tap it out with the channel openings facing down and wipe it with a soft cloth after playing. The playing tips in the insert are helpful. You can use the voucher in the case to have one month’s free tuition at David Barrett’s online school. There are countless other online tutorials, you may want to try starting here: Harmonica Tutorial #1 - Breathing by Steve Baker - YouTube
I can also recommend the YT tutorials by Adam Gussow or Jason Ricci, though you will need to look for those aimed at beginning players. I hope you have a great time playing harmonica!