Hohner Crossover the best in Class?

I use Meriane band, blues ,Sp 20s and know Crossovers.Some Reason the
20s play bullet proof live love the new Crossovers though. What’s your preference?

I was closely involved in the development of the Crossover, so I can’t claim to be impartial, but I love it. In terms of sound, playability and ease of servicing, it’s hard to beat. I’m also a big fan of the Marine Band Deluxe and use the two models interchangeably. The standard Marine Band 1896 is a great harmonica too and the comb is now sealed, so it isn’t as prone to swelling as it was in earlier times. I don’t play them as much as Deluxe & Crossover, because the screw together assembly of these models makes them much more service friendly and I prefer the slightly rounded channel openings. The Special 20 is as you say a workhorse and very comfortable to play.

1 Like

I agree with Steve all the way! JFilisko

3 Likes

Love them all I do really love the crossover.

2 Likes

Hi, The Crossovers are great! But if you like the Special 20 harmonica be sure to check out the Rockets as apart from a great name, they are really nice to hold and play with a superior comb to the Special 20 in my opinion.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m privileged! I call the Crossover the Les Paul of harps. Rock and roll needed a Hohner! Thanks Steve :de::us:

1 Like

Cool ,Gunna get an A,D this weekend. Thanks for the heads up! Can’t wait to blast them baby’s! Rocket man.

Great analogy Michael :+1:

1 Like

Hi Tony, the comb design of the Rocket series is indeed killer, all external surfaces are rounded and the larger channel openings help make them louder.

2 Likes

I love plastic combs, they are more durable and the overall feel is better!
That is why I prefer special 20`s.
Rocket looks sweet and I heard great things about that model, AMP is supposedly less air-tight then the classic model?!
will try it soon, as I get me some money!

1 Like

I use Crossover, Thunderbird, Marine Band Regular, XB40, Steves 365/28 SBS, Bluesharp, Pro Harp, Meisterklasse and also Rocket… Then I am also using Manji, Bluesmaster, Overdrive & Seydel Blues session in Brass Reeds… When I began tinkering around in 1977… My first very were 2 Golden Melodies in C & E and one Thorens in A… Now they have customised Turboharp with Magnetic paraphernalias, Dannecker & Brendan Power Products to ponder upon… But at my age I am satisfied with conventional Diatonics… Whatever I can afford is also the Criteria as single earning person… Back to the roots or maybe I am typical… But if that was so then I wouldn’t have tried Suzuki Overdrive & Meisterklasse in aluminium alloy either… Crossover and Thunderbird Bamboo Comb was something most fantastic innovation to have happened to Diatonic harmonicas besides Suzuki’s Rosewood Harps… Rocket is a step above Special 20 I assume…

2 Likes

Hi PapaMuerte, interesting name :wink:

In regards to airtightness there is absolutely no difference between the Rocket Amp and the standard model. In contrast to the classic model, the Rocket Amp covers are without side vents. This slightly cuts the treble frequencies in the acoustic sound, so it may appear a little quieter, but this feature allows tighter cupping when playing through a hand-held mic and ensures the full acoustic signal goes to the mic.

1 Like
Imprint | Privacy