My first chromatic harmonica 280 C 64

The oldest plastic 280 comb, which was a pinkish-brownish color with fake woodgrain on the outside, was known to become crumbly with time. Likewise, the long-ago wood comb tended to split apart where two pieces of wood were joined, or to split and warp as wood will do with age and moisture. However, I have never heard any complaints about the black plastic comb cracking.

2 Likes

While working on your breathing and embouchure will help with the sound of your playing, so will listening to the example of good players.

In classical music, check out Tommy Reilly, Robert Bonfiglio, and Larry Adler.

In jazz, check out Toots Thielemans, Hermine Deurloo, and Charles Leighton.

In popular music, check out Larry Adler (again), Stevie Wonder, and Leo Diamond.

This is a very brief list, but itā€™s a good start. I feel lucky to have heard many of these players when I was first starting to play, as they gave me a model of what the chromatic harmonica can sound like.

2 Likes

Yup ditto Winslow and that version of plastic is very Fragile and also Brittleā€¦ I know some collectors who own the older versionā€¦ Same goes for the early Meisterklasse 7565 14 hole Chromaticā€¦ The one that had Oxidation Issueā€¦ The one introduced in the 80s with foam package container unlike now they have it in plastic boxā€¦

Here is the video of the older version of Hohner Chromonica 280 cā€¦ I assume you also must have viewed this funny guyā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you, Winslow! I just spent a happy hour listening to Robert Bonfiglio playing Bach and a couple of other things on YouTube ā€“ all classical, which is my background. There was also a printed music, so I was able to follow the notes as he played the piece. Now I understand what someone meant when he wrote that the Chromatic Harmonica is like having a piano in your pocket. Chord technique is as yet a mystery to me, but someone mentioned using the tongue to play them, so I suppose Iā€™ll come to that in time. I will, of course, listen to the other types of music you recommend. For its size, the Chromatic harmonica is an amazing instrument with as much capability as a piano, and limited only to the playerā€™s ability. It is just what Iā€™ve been looking for.

Yes, Roy, you are so right! Happiness is a very personal thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Carol I am always learning my lessons in life and this will continue till I kick the bucketā€¦To me doing something creative makes me satisfiedā€¦ I was a Child that had no friends and as an adult itā€™s still the sameā€¦ I got acquaintances who invites me and also taunt me for not being very Socialā€¦ But I am the kind of person who dwell in his own worldā€¦ But this world is full of reality & not just temporary illusions of short lived Joysā€¦ Some even wonder how come a Man live alone on his own since 1997ā€¦ My mind tells me to Live and let others live like the way they want to for so long itā€™s peacefulā€¦ Criticising someone doesnā€™t make us perfect but there will be critics all aroundā€¦ Judgemental majority you know that too Carolā€¦ So since I was a Child I was sensitive enough to maintain distance from such personsā€¦ The one with expectations this included my late parents as wellā€¦ I could find my happiness watching a bird make nestā€¦ But when I was told to join a family get together then my fragile mind would get agitatedā€¦ Because majority of them are so much obsessed with what they want to be in life and who they are & their so called Goal, Status, Religions, Politics and etcā€¦ I literally walked out of it & now I live fairly peacefully in a old Countryside in Hamburgā€¦ But hey! We both play the same Chromonica 280 cā€¦ You got good taste Lady & earā€¦

Take Care of Yourself & its very nice hearing from your realityā€¦ That is emotionsā€¦
Keep in Touchā€¦ I Like you & I respect your good taste and Humbleness.
Everytime you will write something I will most definitely reply backā€¦ I am not like others on the Internet & their other directed cheeky realityā€¦Trying to be something out of nothing at allā€¦ Tom, Dicks & Harryā€™s onlineā€¦

2 Likes

Man, that was poetry :smile:
really great post Bergedorfer, I agree with you 100%

p.s.: Mr.Winslow Yerxa, your book is like a bible to me!
Thank you for everything!!!

2 Likes

Life is but a Poetry of Birth, Life and Death without getting involved in Nefarious mattersā€¦ So be it incompatible relationship and shady deals for some quick Bucks or so called Social statusā€¦ I mean trying to fit in the herds of Fools in Fools Paradiseā€¦ Most do not realise that we as humans are but temporary and there is no need for any sort of Competitions, Favouring those with lots of Capital for self benefits and mundane expectation in existence at allā€¦ Minding your own matters peacefully is the best a human can achieve in lifeā€¦ Rest is walking with thy own shadow with or without in lifeā€¦ Thank You Papa Muerte for your appreciationā€¦

I never supported any Politicians, Patriots, Race, Social Status, Academic background, Occupation, Religions and not even my own parents, Country and the Society where I was once raised with lots of extra Privilege for grantedā€¦ That will explain it allā€¦ I am very much Multicultural and I got Cousin brothers and sisters in America, New Zealand, Romania, Germany, Croatia and also in Englandā€¦ My own son is of Spanish, Portuguese, Indian and German originā€¦ My wife is a old school Puerto Rican from late 1950s born and bought up in South Bronx in New York City and as for myself I was born and raised in New Delhi City among Eminent and well to do family of Medical Practitioners and those who were very close to the former British administratorsā€¦ But to me all those aristocracy and so called taste of first flush darjeeling Tea, Single Malt Scotch Whiskey & Gin wasnā€™t suitableā€¦ I mean I donā€™t follow & Support anyone in life and have any Idol & whatever other as in their own make believe majority follow like MONKEY SEE & MONKEY DO OVERALL MENTALITYā€¦ Birds of feather Flock togetherā€¦ I am not into such Social Patternā€¦ Though I am grateful to have got exposed to some very old American and British Music due to their influenceā€¦ Including Western Classical music and I didnā€™t grow up like typical lot around us back then in 1969 & Onwardsā€¦ Then some 21 years ago I decided to begin my life in North Germany and this isnā€™t my last stopā€¦ I am not like others where there is some Shelter, bread and butter then stay back in that same ruts to rant about itā€¦ I am going to move furthermore far away from Europe to have some more Fun Manā€¦ I was born in Indian Subcontinent of Diversity and vast differences in physical feature, eating habits, Customs, Taboos, Superstitions and consisting of various languages & Tribal Communities that is Indiaā€¦ If others arenā€™t any of all exclusive exception to their kind of Social scenarios, Ambitions, Expectations and upbringing that they were indoctrinated into as whosoever they pretend around to be in short lived existence is beyond my intellectual realisation & patience to tolerate such other directed loafersā€¦ I couldnā€™t be Brainwashed like othersā€¦ European Mindset under NATO is fine but I was born to learn and not to stay back at one place to beat around the bushesā€¦ I wrote all this so that anyone else down here must think before meddling around with meā€¦ Its internet and some persons are Insensitive, other directed and Unculturedā€¦ So I attempt to make it all clear in advanceā€¦ Before they cross their limitā€¦Beside Harmonica is that what they are all here to Harmonise aboutā€¦ If I have not Mistakenā€¦ :rofl::joy::sweat_smile::laughing:
Take Care and Keep in Touchā€¦

Here is Gary from New Jerseyā€¦ He is my friend on Facebookā€¦ Now he plays Hohner Chromonica 280 c as it isā€¦ I mean without any customisation and such nonsenseā€¦ He is in his Mid 70s as per his ageā€¦ But a fantastic player and a person who isnā€™t interested in any Limelight and whatever get together down in the Mississippi and California Pistachio bash up they holdā€¦

1 Like

I LOv the 280 Hohner Chromatic. Its a amazing Harmonica.
I usually use the Super Chromonica 48 and 64

2 Likes

yeah, all good choices!

Thanks for posting that video. Itā€™s a fun trip down memory lane to revisit the names of those musicians from the 20ā€™s, 30ā€™s, and 40ā€™s when they were young. Unfortunately, itā€™s not my memory. :slight_smile: The harp playing is great to listen to. Another inspiration to keep practicing my 280 C.
Carol

1 Like

All the best with Chromonica 280 c. Itā€™s a vintage instrument that will remain unsurpassed. :slight_smile: :+1:ā€¦ I also play Tower Chromatic in 24 hole, Tombo Uni Chromatic in 12 hole, Suzuki Songstar in 24 hole, Suzuki Chromatix in 16 hole, Hohner 280 c Chromonica in 16 hole, Hƶhner Meisterklasse in 14 hole & Hering Chromatic Deluxe in 16 holeā€¦ But Hohner chromonica sound :loud_sound: is Vintage like no other Chromatic Harmonicaā€¦ Because itā€™s a 1938 invention. What I do is listen to the Pre 1920s, 30s and 40s born Harmonica legendā€™s on Chromatic and also Diatonicā€¦ Because it helps me to improve and improvise my own pattern. The Real joy of playing any music instrumentā€™s is to duet and play with another willing person in harmonyā€¦ I donā€™t play on stage with gear, gadgets and accessories and neither in publicā€¦ I play to enjoy at home or in the Forest during pleasant climateā€¦
Enjoy Your ongoing Practiceā€¦
Carol :smirk: :blush: :v:

1 Like

Thank you! I enjoy it more every day.
Carol

Hi, Carol. My name is Jay and I didnā€™t learn to play the harmonica until I was almost 70. I am the president of the Gateway Harmonica Club in St. Louis, Missouri and also secretary of SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica. If you have an opportunity you might want to consider attending one of SPAHā€™s conventions, the next one to be in Charlotte, NC, August 10-14, 2021. I, too, love my 280 C and was fortunate to purchase a used one in great condition. Our club teaches beginning harmonica in local community colleges and starts beginners off with the diatonic harmonica. If you desire a copy of our lesson book in pdf format please email me at jay@gcfrog.com and Iā€™ll be pleased to send it to you. Itā€™s a great first step to learning the harmonica and a stepping stone to the chromatic. All of the suggestions posted are of great assistance. Iā€™ve learned a great deal from fellow club members but I realize you may not have such an opportunity. You canā€™t beat pure practice. Since you have musical experience you can read music. I found just picking up a music book (mostly with music from the 20ā€™s, 30ā€™s, 40ā€™s and 50ā€™s) and playing songs helped me. Practicing scales is also a good idea.

Good luck to you and please feel free to contact me.

Jay Hotze
SPAH Secretary
President, Gateway Harmonica Club

2 Likes