What are your most preferred Hohner Harmonica in Chromatic & Diatonic?

What are your most preferred Hohner Harmonica in Chromatic & Diatonic?

2 Likes

I don’t really play much chromatic any more, but when I do I find the CX-12 excellent for my purposes. If I need a 64 chrom then my choice would be the Super 64X. If you like a wood comb on a 48 chrom, the 270 Deluxe is also very good.

With diatonics I play the instruments of the Marine Band Series exclusively (1896, Deluxe, Crossover & Thunderbird, or custom versions of the same). I was closely involved in the development of the Deluxe, Crossover & Thunderbird and for my music there are no better harps out of the box in the whole wide world :heart_eyes:

That said, depending on your preferences in terms of sound and playing feel, the instruments of the Progressive Series (Special 20, Rocket & Golden Melody) are also excellent and feature the same reeds as the Marine Bands, so they’re qualitatively comparable.

4 Likes

Thanking You once again for prompt reply…
I began with Diatonic in 1977… It was 2 Golden Melody in C & in E… I also had one Thorens back then… Which isn’t worth mentioning in Hohner Harmonica related queries… Later on I moved to Chromatic Harmonica as well… As for Diatonic I’m using Marine Band Classic, Meisterklasse, Blue’s Harp, Pro Harp, Thunderbird & also Crossover…In particular Marine Band, Thunderbird & Crossover are unsurpassed according to my meager playability… Some fellow go for customisation of these respective model’s… But I’m strongly against any customisation & tampering of factory products… The only Two Chromatic that I can manage to play are 16 chamber Chromonica 280 c & 14 hole Meisterklasse 7565…I’ve also trialled the new product’s…As there’s no end for upgrade… There will always be New products… But as for sentimentality & my own ease of mediocre playability… I prefer to the two Chromatic as mentioned above…
With all due respect once again,
Roy

1 Like

You can mention any brand of harmonica you like, this is a public discussion forum :wink:

2 Likes

Thank You Mr Baker…
I also use Suzuki Blusmaster, Overdrive, Manji & Seydel Blue’s Session in Diatonic… But as I’ve begun to play Hohner Harmonica back in the day’s before Puberty & I always prefer to play that more occasionally than the other brands… My ear got accustomed to it…
Sadly Harmonica Scenario in Hamburg seems to be bleak among the New generation… I’m residing out here for the past 19 year’s… Harmonica has been my best companion ever since I was in growing up period and will always remain so… I’ll therefore restrict my lengthy Babbling…
Thanking You once again for breaking the Barriers between particular Trademark related to Harmonica…

Wishing You a pleasant Evening,
Roy

2 Likes

I play primarily chromatic nowadays, and enjoy my 270 with upgraded mouthpiece, and my CX-12 very much. On diatonic I had been using the Golden Melody until I got a Special 20. I’m very impressed with the Special 20 as to its playing comfort and tone. I wrote a long and favorable review of it on Amazon, which in retrospect seems almost gushing, but yeah, I like it.

2 Likes

Thank You for your reference…

Thanks Joe! The Special 20 is indeed an excellent diatonic model and in my opinion more comfortable to play than the Golden Melody. Happy Easter!

Since a few weeks I’m the proud owner of the Super 64 X 2018! I hav’nt played a lot yet. But I love the sound of it. It is a bit heavy in the hands, but the instrument gives a very smooth feeling to my hands. I also own the “old” 64chrom. I prefer the chromatic sound to a diatonc harp sound for all songs, but the Blues. For only playing the Blues I love to play also the marine band Special 20 and the cross over. I have them in almost every key (without the lows) and don’t want to miss them. These are my Hohner friends. I’m a fan of Hohner instruments. I confess, I tried also the Seydel instruments onces (which are also excellent harps like a lot of harpers say), but they are not made for me. They are too stiff for my mouth-feeling, while the Hohner instruments in my way of playing are soft like chewing gum!
Regards

2 Likes

Winslow Yerxa (Harmonica Expert)

The most widely used type of chromatic harmonica for classic blues is a four-octave chromatic in C with 16 holes. Hohner Model 280 (or 64, because it has 64 reeds). Super 64, and Super 64X are the main Hohner models. The standard 280 is the lowest priced and is a fine instrument; it’s what Little Walter used for his classic recordings on chromatic.

Hering and Suzuki both make four-octave chromatics. Hering instruments are airtight and responsive, but many players find the tone too bright for blues, and the reeds don’t stand up to heavy playingas well as Hohner or Suzuki reeds.

Suzuki makes some excellent chromatics as well - check ouy the SCX64, and the Sirius 64, which is just now being introduced.

The four octave chromatics give you an extra low octave below Middle C. When you’re playing in D using the big open D minor6 draw chord, that extra low range really makes for a big, dark, gritty sound. You can hold in the slide to play the same way in the key of Eb.

But to play in the same way in other keys, you may need another key of chromatic. The big 16-hole chromatics come only in C, but the smaller 12-hole chromatics (with a three octave range) comer in 7 or 8 keys. You will find recordings where players such as William Clarke, Paul deLay, and George Smith played other keys of 12 hole chromatics, using the draw chord as the home chord (this is also called third position, which may already be familiar to you on diatonic).

If you’re going for a three-octave chromatic, then Seydel is also worthy of consideration. This Eastern German manufacturer is actually older than Hohner and has 12-hole chromatics in several keys. I’d recommend their Deluxe model.

A word about keys and ranges on 12-hole chroamtics. The 12-hole C chromatic has the same range as a diatonic 10-hole C harp. In the Hohner line, all other keys are pitched lower. So the F, E, Eb and D are all like the low versions of diatonics. They even make a tenor C, an octave lower than a standard C.

However, in the Seydel range, the 12-hole chromatics in D, Eb, E, and F are all higher than the C harp. Generally, you want the lower pitched sound for a chromatic in blues.

For now, I’d recommend that if you’re looking to emulate the chromatic you’ve already heard on blues records, taht you get a Hohner 280

1 Like

For diatonic I favour the Marine Band Crossover. This is one lovely harp ! However, I don’t play much of diatonic as songs we play tend to make use of the chromatic scale a lot. And in this my favourites are one: The CX-12 Jazz…a lovely instrument, very easy to use and maintain, with a distinct tone and I can play with it quite a bit in terms of modifications. The king of course is my all time favourite: the Super 64X. There can never be another like it. The tone, the feel, the, the, the…everything about it is simply outstanding. And it will remain my most loved Harmonica. I also have the ACE 48 and find the possible tonal variations very attractive and the mouthpiece is simply the best you can lay your hands on (oh…put your lips to, I mean). It certainly is a a super harp.

3 Likes

I like the Marine Band - I have it tuned in C. This is the easiest key to play in - I have another Hohner harmonica (it’s not at hand) in a blue case - it’s F tuned. They both are chromatic.

1 Like

My preferred chromatic is my customized Toots’ Hard Bopper. White Delrin comb with nut inserts in the comb. Each reed plate and cover plate is independently attached. This makes reed plate removal much simpler for cleaning, diagnosis, and repairs.

Welcome to the forum, Harmonicat! That sounds like a great instrument!

My most preferred Diatonic harmonicas are too many to mention :joy: :rofl: But I love Hohner Marine Band, Thunderbird, Crossover, Meisterklasse and Rocket low the most… Then I also play Hohner Blue’s Harp and Pro harp. Including Suzuki Manji, Overdrive, Blue’s master & also one Seydel Blue’s Session. I also play many different varieties of Chromatic Harmonicas… But I am
Unable to understand this Question 🙋 Is it referring to Chromatic or Diatonic Harmonicas :joy: :rofl:… Customised Harmonicas I don’t play… Because I don’t swing and sway my Hips on stage… :rofl: I am a hobby player since 1977…Then it’s also about affordability and worth not such grand expenditure… If no £ return is coming back from playing around on professional level. :rofl: I assume the overgrown gentry is mature enough to realise fancying those customised TOY’S :joy:

I have both. However the diatonic is my go to harp. I’ve had several, but the one I am using now is a Special 20. Love it and still I’m looking at getting a Marine Band Crossover. Any suggestions?

1 Like

BillyJack you can’t really go wrong with a Marine Band Crossover. It’s a great instrument and is my go to harp.

2 Likes

I’m still learning…aren’t we learning our whole lives? But, in my limited experience I have really grown attached to my Rocket Low C. I bought mine right after the 2018 SPAH and prefer it to my regular C diatonic, of which I have several. A few years ago I bought a Seydel Session with steel reeds and do like it for a C. As to chromatics, where do I begin? The 64 Super 64X is really great but so is my Suzuki 64 Professional, but it needs a tune up. Again, I have several chromatics (don’t tell me wife) and have found the 12-hole East Top with black cover plates to be extremely reliable. I’ve had it,also, since the 2018 SPAH and never have to perform maintenance and our club practices every week and plays 55-60 gigs a year

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. The Rocket Low models are great, glad you like. I have played a number of Easttop chroms including the model you mention and thought they offer good value for money - loud and responsive. You have to like the sound though, all the Easttop instruments I’ve played sound brighter and more trebly than I’m accustomed to.

I have to say, I started on a Blues Band - cheap harp, in the key of C. I lucked out and had one that was fairly air tight. Went to Blues Harp, wood comb, very air tight, like its supposed to be. Picked up a Special 20 and hated it at first but have grown to love it. Stepped up to a Marine Band 1896 and really like it/them. I have a set of 7. And along the way I picked up a 12-harp set of Easttop harps. They all sound good, air tight… I’m not sorry I bought them.

Of course, all of those are diatonic harmonicas. I’m doing everything I can to avoid chromatic harps. It would be like learning to play harmonica again from the very beginning.

So, I’ll pick Hohner and settle on which flavor when it becomes necessary to make a choice. I like the Blues Harp, Special 20 and Marine Band 1896.

That’s my 2-cents worth.
Don.

2 Likes