Which brand of harmonica do you like best?

Hi,
I’ve been playing the harmonica for a while. I find that a good harmonica can make my harmonica learning easier. Now the major harmonica brands are hohner, seydel (made in Germany), suzuki, tombo (made in Jepan), east top (made in China). In my opinion, it is undeniable that the hohner is the best of these. whether its workmanship or timbre. That’s why I choose the hohner ACE 48. By the way, which is your best harmonica brand and which the harmonica style do you like best?

1 Like

Mine is definately the Hohner Marine Band 1896 along with the DeLuxe, the CrossOver and the Thunderbird. JF

2 Likes

Hohner for me. My world is filled with harmonica love I play Marine band crossovers and low thunderbirds the most.

1 Like

I’ve tried different models by different manufacturers. I guess it shouldn’t be a coincidence that those of us who gather here (on Hohner’s site) would also prefer Hohner. I just wish Hohner was manufacturing virus tests.

1 Like

Hi Sonny,
Yeah, every models of hohner harmonica is great, and 1896 is really a good choice. :grinning: :grinning: :smiley:Wish you a good health.
Liu

Hi, Nedra,
The thunderbirds is a very good models of blues harp, I also have one, I like it. :eyeglasses: :sunglasses:Wish you a good health.
Liu

Hi Jaya,
It’s really a big number of harmonica in the world. And we will stop the coronavirus. Wish you a good health.
Liu

Yes. It’s important to know that playing musical instruments is good for our central nervous system which means it’s good for the health of all of our organs and generally our health, especially during the stress of our collective experience.

Playing harmonica is especially good as it tones the muscles of the respiratory system and improves respiratory efficiency at the cellular level. So, it’s good for the mind and the body, but most of all the spirit. Whatever genres you play, if you allow yourself, you will express your inner spirit and that brings great joy to everyone.

Playing harmonica is one of the perfect antidotes for today. :notes:

2 Likes

I find something to like in all those brands, but I’m very partial the Hohner Special 20 and the CX-12. They always feel like I’m coming home.

1 Like

Hi Joe,
Yaeh, CX-12 jazz and CX-12 black both are very good harmonicas, they are very famous in China, many harmonica player would like to use jazz-12. :smiley:
Wish you a good health.
Liu

Here are some of my harmonica. I like the hohner most. :joy: :joy: :joy:

Thank you. All is good here. I hope the same for you! JF aka SS

1 Like

My workhorse for the last 50 years has been the Marine Band 1896, although I recently bought two Thunderbirds, one the crazy Low Low F. Like Sonny Boy, I use a MB 365. For chromatic I use a Super 64 (in gold) and a MB 365 Soloist. Every harmonica I use right out of the box, with never a problem. If Hohner was good enough for Little Walter, why would I use anything else?

2 Likes

Hi @Timothyford
Hohner is really a good choice, it has a good fame in world too. Most of blues player in China would like to use thunderbirds!
Liu

I love Hohner and Swan harmonicas.
Actually, yesterday I bought one - SWAN Stainless Steel Chromatics Harmonica SW1040 Review (2022)
sounds great

1 Like

Hi Radiolese, welcome to the forum!
Swan harmonicas used to be of relatively poor quality but were extremely cheap and therefore popular with beginners, though few serious players used them. However, their chromatics have improved a lot in recent years, I played one at the Musikmesse 2017 and was pleasantly surprised. But the reason why so many people prefer the sound of Hohner harmonicas is the superior tone of the brass reeds. No other manufacturer has to date managed to rival the Hohner sound, all other reed materials that I’ve tried have a thinner tone.

2 Likes

I’ve started with Hohner Blues Harp but recently purchased my very first Hohner Marine Band 1896. I’m sold. The second one is on order and should be here by, I think the end of this week. Hohner is the brand for me.

2 Likes

Thanks Don, glad you like this iconic harmonica model! For many of us who love traditional harmonica styles, the Marine Band 1896 is the benchmark instrument. FYI, the newer developments Marine Band Deluxe and Marine Band Crossover retain the essential characteristics of the original, but have a number of additional player-friendly features including screw together assembly, improved cover design and rounded channel openings.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’m afraid to try a Marine Band Deluxe or Marine Band Crossover. Buying a harp is not as expensive as, say, a professional quality guitar; however, I can see myself owning a set of 7 of each of those as well as the standard Marine Band 1896 set I just completed when the last 2 were delivered yesterday. Is it possible to be “harmonica poor?”

3 Likes

My favourite is a Lee Oskar in the key of “C”. The holes seem slightly wider than others, which makes it easier for me to play.

My LEAST favourite is the Suzuki Olive. I can hear my breath when I don’t play it loud. This doesn’t happen with any of my other Harmonicas.

1 Like